Sunday, January 18, 2015

After Emily Dickinson's "I'm Nobody! Who are you?"(260)

So finally the moment I realize what I am: Almost beautiful. It's taken me 53 years to get that through my head. It means I can be seen as both gorgeous and ugly in the selfsame instant. I hope it means there will be no further struggle. I am down to a working dose of estrogen, and I am almost beautiful. I join the ranks of everything that is not declared, 90 to 100 percent of the time, "Beautiful!" Is that you, too? Let's bind together, then, and make the most of it, not telling just anyone: Just think what they might do with it. It could turn cliché real fast, you know? Then we'd be just like those bimbos, those stars, those plier-to-the-nose-type primping desperadoes we sit here and watch on the awards shows!



http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/im-nobody-who-are-you-260

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home